Monday, June 27, 2016

Happy Agent's Day!

In a long conversation with my critique partners about what you need in an agent, my friend Jenn said something that will always stick with me: Your agent should make it easier and not harder for you to write. This was the advice that eventually helped me see that my first agent was not a good fit for me as a writer, and the advice that has me continually nodding my head in belated agreement now. I now understand what Jenn was talking about. I didn't know at that point that this kind of agent/client working relationship existed.

This is the woman who makes it easier for me every day to keep doing what I love. And since today is #AgentsDay, I want to let her and any prospective clients, as well as other writers know what I love about working with Patricia Nelson!


I signed with Patricia on Christmas Eve 2014, a fabulous Christmas gift to myself. A gift that has kept right on giving. :)

(I signed on a copy of Harry Potter for good luck)

In the months that followed we've been through several rounds of revisions together, gone out on submission, worked on different books, discussed pitches for new novels, and we've gotten to know each other much better. 

So here for Agents' Day are ten reasons that Patricia Nelson helps make it easier and not harder to write. Ten reasons why I'm so grateful that we found each other.

1. She gives herself deadlines, and keeps them! (I know this is not something all agents are able to do, but I am continually amazed by Patricia's consistency and reliability. It inspires so much confidence and lets me work on my own timelines, without worrying about the agent end.


via GIPHY

2. She likes my ideas. This isn't something you can force, and it wouldn't mean she was a bad agent if she didn't. But it is amazing to have someone you can share ideas / brainstorm with who gets excited about the same things as you.



via GIPHY

3. She's always up for a quick phone call, and I always feel miles better after a chat with Patricia.



via GIPHY

4. She gets my stuff READ!!! Her network is awesome, and she gets my books out there.


via GIPHY

5. All the brilliant ideas! Brainstorming with Patricia is magic!


via GIPHY

6. She gets all the emotion, and she's a cheerleader even when I'm doing the crazy author thing.


via GIPHY

7. She's practically a superhero, fighting for her clients' work! All her clients. All the time. Patricia doesn't take on work she doesn't believe in, and when she does take it on, she is ready to go the distance for that book / that author. She's the one you want fighting for you!


via GIPHY

8. She's the best matchmaker. It's like a CP fairy godmother. I'm constantly meeting amazing new CPs and friends thanks to her amazing taste in clients. Belonging to #TheRevisionists is such a privilege, and I'm grateful to call her clients my friends.


via GIPHY

9. She's a fountain of cautious optimism. I always have an easier time believing when I talk to Patricia! She believes in me and my writing.


via GIPHY

10. She loves books with boundless passion. AND she cares about my characters like they're real people. The other day I was concerned about a character, and she said, "Heather, we both know Julie. There's no way she's letting that happen." Bless you, you book lover, you! I love loving books right along with you.


via GIPHY

Patricia, happy happy #AgentsDay! You are truly a gift! All your clients agree, you're the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment